Publication Date : Wednesday 17 December 2014 14:13
EU court orders Hamas removal from terror blacklist
A European Union (EU) court has ruled that the Palestinian resistance movement, Hamas, be removed from the bloc’s terrorism blacklist.
The General Court of the European Union said in a statement on Wednesday that the original conclusion of the movement was based not on reliable sources, but conclusions from the media and internet reports.
"The General Court finds that the contested measures are based not on acts examined and confirmed in decisions of competent authorities, but on factual imputations derived from the press and the Internet," it said.
The second-highest court in the bloc added that such a decision had to be made based on previously established facts by competent authorities.
The court, however, said that its ruling does "not imply any substantive assessment of the question of the classification of Hamas as a terrorist group."
Hamas’s assets will temporarily remain in place for the time being pending any appeal by the EU, the Luxembourg-based court said.
The court ruling comes upon an appeal filed by Hamas against its inclusion in the European Union's list of terrorist organizations.
The EU blacklisted the political wing of Hamas in 2003.
Hamas's military wing, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, had been added to the EU’s terrorism blacklist in December 2001.