Publication Date : Friday 14 October 2016 11:13
US preparing for invasion of Yemen’s western coast: Houthi
The leader of Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement has warned that the US military is preparing the ground for an act of aggression against the war-torn Arab country.
In a televised speech on Thursday, Abdul Malik Badreddin al-Houthi slammed Washington’s recent missile attacks against three mobile radar sites on Yemen’s Red Sea coast, saying the nation and armed forces should stay vigilant and stand fully ready to face the invaders.
“The US is after laying the groundwork for making an invasive move against [western coastal] Hudaydah Province,” the statement said, adding, “Through this measure, the US is after building up pressure on and harassing the people of Yemen.”
“The Yemeni nation will defend its territory, freedom and independence, seeing it as its right to use any legitimate means against violent invasions,” the Houthi leader said.
He made the comments on the anniversary of the October 14, 1963 onset of an arms struggle, which forced the British into withdrawal from southern Yemen.
The remarks came after the Pentagon said that three Yemeni radar sites across the country’s Red Sea coast had been destroyed by US cruise missile strikes. The Pentagon had earlier claimed that the USS Mason, a guided-missile destroyer, had come under the Yemeni attack for the second time in four days.